By Royal Warrant, four new appointments and reappointments have been made to Non-Executive Commissioner positions at the Forestry Commission. His Majesty King Charles III appointed Ross Murray as a Non-Executive Commissioner and the late Queen reappointed Julia Grant, Jennie Price, and Peter Latham as Non-Executive Commissioners.
Ross Murray has been appointed for a three-year term which commenced on 1 October 2022. Julia Grant has been reappointed for a third term of two years from 1 November 2022 until 31 October 2024. Jennie Price and Peter Latham have been reappointed for a second term of three years from 1 April 2022 until 31 March 2025.
These appointments have been made in accordance with the Ministerial Governance Code on Public Appointments. All appointments have been made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. The time commitment is expected to be up to 30 days per year and the daily rate for each Commissioner is £409.
There is a requirement for appointees’ political activity (if significant) to be declared. None of the appointees have declared taking part in any significant political activity in the past five years.
The Non-Executive Commissioners play a pivotal role in establishing a strong, sustainable future for the organisation. The Forestry Commission (FC) is a non-Ministerial Government department that has a key role in helping the Government achieve its tree planting objectives. The Forestry Commission is responsible for protecting, expanding and promoting the sustainable management of woodlands to society and the environment.
- Ross is the current Non-Executive Chairman at Knight Frank Rural and Senior Trustee of Llanover Estate.
- Previously he has been National President for The Country Land and Business Association.
- Julia has held a range of leadership roles in global consulting firms, financial services and the not-for-profit sector over a 30-year career span.
- She has extensive non-executive and board experience including previous Ministerial Appointments at the Arts and Humanities Research Council and the Surrey Learning and Skills Council.
- She is a Non-Executive Forestry Commissioner, a Non- Executive Member of the Investment and Delivery Committee at the Foreign and Commonwealth Development Office and a Member of the Audit Risk and Assurance Committee at the Rural Payments Agency.
- Julia is also currently a Trustee at Education Development Trust and is a previous trustee at Shelter and the Community Foundation for Surrey.
- Jennie has been the Chief Executive Officer of Sport England and Chief Executive Officer of WRAP, a DEFRA-supported environmental organisation specialising in recycling and resources management.
- She has also been the Chair of the International Tennis Integrity Agency and Chair of Trustees of The Scouts in the UK. Jennie is also a Trustee of the Canal and River Trust.
- Peter is a Director at Association Technique Internationale des Bois Tropicaux (ATIBT)
- He is a Trustee of the William Robinson Gravetye Charity and of the Commonwealth Forestry Association.
- He was previously Chief Executive Officer and Chair of the Timber Distributor James Latham Plc., and also previously Chair of the Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification International (PEFC).