How to apply for access to personal data from DfE and its executive agencies.
Applies to England
default all personal data will be accessed via the Office for National Statistics Secure Research Service (ONS SRS). However, where the SRS is not suitable and evidence can be provided to support this, the following exemptions on the use of SRS for sharing data will be considered:
- data is being processed to fulfil an essential public
tasksuch as the running of education or children’s services
- you are doing research funded
by, by,the Department for Education (DfE) and its executive agencies or other government departments
- you are doing research that is sponsored or supported by DfE and its executive agencies as
addingsignificant value to the evidence base supporting education or children’s services
If you are unsure, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply to DfE for access to DfE personal data
If you are a DfE contractor wanting to apply for personal data for a DfE-commissioned research project, contact your contract manager or research project lead to discuss how to complete the DfE-commissioned research application form for DfE personal data.
The data sharing service is here to help you:
- progress your application through the data sharing service
- access the right data for your project
- document the data share through a signed data sharing agreement, memorandum of understanding, or
Use these data tables to provide your data requirements:
All completed applications must be submitted to email@example.com.
Accessing DfE personal data using the ONS
Secure Research Service
Anyone who needs to access DfE personal data via the
Secure Research Service that
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Once you are an ONS
approved Secure Research Service:
- physical labs: you can book a session to access DfE data at 1 of 5 ONS locations across the UK
Safepod:available for approved researchers and can be
- remote access: once your organisation meets security standards and has organised connectivity with ONS, you can access data online using your own
equipmentsubject to specified conditions
Before gaining access to DfE personal data in the ONS SRS, you will be asked to sign a data sharing agreement, memorandum of understanding, or
Apply for direct access to DfE personal data
Before applying for DfE personal data, you must:
- satisfy one of the 3 exemptions
- have a basic disclosure certificate that is no more than 2 years old
- submit the with all completed applications
- submit a complete application form
Apply directly to
Office for National Statistics for some other key datasets
also apply directly to ONS for some other key
- the longitudinal education outcomes (LEO)
studycompares students’ level of education to their level of employment and earnings in later life - read more about LEO data and how to apply for it.
- the growing up in England
(GUIE)dataset will enable research into the link between family household composition and educational attainment - read more about how to apply for GUIE
- the grading and admission data for England (GRADE)
initiativemakes available data from Ofqual, UCAScovering exam results from 2017 to 2019 and grades from summer 2020 - read more about how to apply for GRADE
Apply for linked DfE and MoJ data
Visit Ministry of Justice data first for access to the linked Ministry of Justice (MoJ) and DfE data set.
Future developments We are currently working on the following projects to improve data: applying for National Pupil Database ( NPD ) directly from ONS applyingfor Longitudinal Young Persons Study in England (LYPSE2) directly from ONS For information on future developments, contact email@example.com .
Uploaded new versions of the national pupil database and higher education data tables, the application form and the guidance. Added a new link to Growing Up in England (GUiE) and an update on which DfE data assets will soon be available directly from ONS.
Uploaded new versions of the National Pupil Database data tables, Higher Education Statistics Agency data tables, and the application form and guidance.
Uploaded new versions of the National Pupil Database data tables, School Workforce data tables, Individualised Learner Record data tables and the Higher Education Statistics Agency data tables and made minor updates to the application form, guidance and information security questionnaire.
Updated the application form and guidance to apply for access to DfE personal data through the ONS SRS. Also updated the National Pupil Database data table.